Thursday 7 September
- Class schedule is abbreviated today due to the Mass of the Holy Spirit 8:00-8:50 a.m.
- Please know that you must always bring assigned readings to class.
- BlogPost Queries:
- BlogPost2 Due Monday 11 September
- BlogPost3 Due Monday 18 September
- Helpful Lab : Embed a photo of yourself on your Front Page
- For class next Thursday, please bring a prop to class that relates to education to the Ayers readings.
- Readings for next week, Thursday 14 September | PROP DAY
1. William Ayers | To Teach: The Journey, in Comics:
- Ch 1. Opening day: the journey begins / p. 1
- Ch. 2. Seeing the student / William Ayers p. 13
- Ch 3. Creating an environment for learning / William Ayers, p. 33
2. Curtis, D. and Carter, M. (2000) The Art of Awareness: How Observation Can Transform Your Teaching. Chapter 1: A New Way of Being With Children: Overview of the Study Sessions. pp. 1-8.
- Educational foundations, Part I: Why Teach? p. 1
- Educational foundations, Chapter 1 Letters to a young teacher / Jonathan Kozol p.3
- Educational foundations, Chapter 2 The Green Monongahela / John Taylor Gatto p.8
- Educational foundations, Chapter 3 Why Teach? / Herbert Kohl, p. 17
Introductions, phase II: Sharing your WebPost and more introductions
7 in 2 listen+respond (discuss question 7 with another soul) –> 7. Share a formative memory from your experiences as a student.
8 in 2 listen + respond (discuss question 8 with another soul) –> 8. Please discuss what are, for you, some significant issues or concerns facing the field of education right now.
6 in 4: (discuss question 6 in a group of 4) –> 6. Being as specific as you can, what must be in place for you to feel comfortable taking intellectual and creative risks in ED100?
- Why Teach? 1, 2, 3 x 5… Review (reading notes/highlights) | Pair | Share