Career Social Studies Teacher — Cleveland Heights / University Heights School District
- Wiley Middle School
- and Heights High School
- 1st Vice-President 1982-1990;
- President 1990-2012;
- Currently Advisor to the President.
- Served as member of Ohio Federation of Teachers Executive Committee
- Chaired AFT Funding of Education and other Services Committee at AFT conventions
- Served 8 years on the Ohio Teacher Education and Licensure Advisory Committee
My name is Karen Rego and I received my Bachelors of Education from The University of Toledo in 1999. I was certified to teach K-8 and I received my first job in Cleveland teaching 6th-grade math and social studies. A few years later I was hired in Cleveland Heights where I have spent the rest of my 21-year teaching career. I have taught many grades and subjects between k and 8th grade. My union involvement happened slowly over those years. I became involved as a building steward when the current steward was moved to another building. I spent about 6 years as the building steward at my elementary school before our former president asked me to be his 1st vice president. I knew he wanted me to be president eventually, but 4 short years later it happened. I have been president since July. We are in the middle of the pandemic, virtual school, and negotiations. I’m pretty sure that no matter how long I am the president for, whatever comes my way I can handle it.